Friday, May 29, 2009

Life After Dark: A New Beginning



My Dear Friends,

I have been out of touch with much of the world for quite some time due to an attempt to re-evaluate, re-organize, and prioritize my life. This period of necessary change has been a daunting climb and a humbling journey -- one in which creativity was lost and found several times along the way. There are two distinct aspects of my personality which seem to be forever battling for control.

I am Natasha: fun-loving, friendly, over-the-top artist!

Photo: High Art



I am also Kristie: bookish, bespectacled hermit who flees from the first whiff of conflict.



I am learning to control and diminish my less-than-desirable personality traits, but will forever be a work in progress.

Despite these flaws, I'm sharing ME for the first time, with you.

My new blog, Life After Dark, is a very personal exercise in vulnerability. I must learn to accept myself, my surroundings, and my artistic ability as they are right at this moment instead of hiding myself until perfection is obtained. This is a very public kick-in-the-ass, and all fingers are pointed straight at me.

So, the good, the bad, and the artistically ugly will be up for all to see, and I'm going to learn to love it...

Just as I am.


This blog is for my Mama and for my gigantic family who are hundreds and thousands of miles away.

This blog is for my neglected friends whom I love and cherish even though many think they've been forgotten.

This blog is for those who think I dislike them because of my infrequent or non-existent communication. I'm sorry.

This blog is for those of you who have an internal war raging between Can & Can't, Will & Won't, and Do & Don't.

This blog is for Ba't, my muse.

And, this blog is for me.


Life evolves, and so have I. A 1920's bungalow situated next to an abandoned carousel in Austin, Texas is where I now call home. I work full-time once again from my home studio, and have the most loving and selfless assistant imaginable -- 'The Goddess' Minerva.



Hope, After Dark's remarkably talented new intern joins us for the summer, and she has already blown me away with her skill and her eye for design. Hope designed the blog layout and has created a collage filled to the brim with my favorite things. Thank you, Hope!

I'm elbow-deep in After Dark Jewelry's new anatomical collection, which is far removed from past designs. the website and logo will change to reflect the aesthetic of the new collection, so it's going to be an eventful and challenging summer! I'm feeling more creative and inspired than ever before. You will hear from me again.





Warmth and Love,


1 comment:

  1. How I hear you with respect to perfection and vulnerability. My fear of imperfection stifles living. Your words remind me of a quote, "Real fearlessness is the product of tenderness. It comes from letting the world tickle your heart, your raw and beautiful heart" (Chogyam Trungpa). It's scary putting yourself out there. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete